Sunday, February 27, 2011

On Sundays I cook

A Barnes & Noble gift card is always one of those Christmas gifts that never gets time to cool in my hot little hands. The one received this year went to purchase Dough by Richard Bertinet (it even comes with a DVD for those of us who are suffer from an unnatural fear of bread failure). My New Year's resolution was/is to learn to bake good bread...something that has always eluded me.

Nearly every weekend since then has included a bread making attempt. The first few weeks proved that my family loves me as they choked down chewy and rather yeasty morsels, generously proclaiming, "the flavor is good." No more. They are starting to get really good bread. Not loaf-shaped tennis balls, but good hearty bread. Today was a two-batch day. Light rye with caraway and whole wheat poppy seed stars. Finally. Hearty bread worthy of the lamb, mushroom and wild rice casserole in the oven.On Sundays, I cook.

1 comment:

Karl said...

I hope nobody had a drug test the next day.