Friday, February 11, 2011

The answer was in the glass

Super Bowl Sunday turned out well for me. Not only for the football, to which I don't usually pay much attention, but also because I came up with a plan to finish my bird and basket wallhanging.
At first I considered a pieced border edged in prairie points. Just a walk through the kitchen reminded me that prairie points are not something I find very enjoyable to make. In fact, if memory serves correctly, there was some sort of solemn oath sworn against them after this little quilt. Don't get me wrong, I love this quilt, but the six or seven years since I made it has not been long enough to make me forget pinning all those little triangles. So, no prairie points. That's when my glass of Diet 7-Up came to the rescue. Actually, not the soda, the glass.
Here it is. A Williams-Sonoma juice glass (I found two of these little gems at Goodwill last summer. These nearly indestructible glasses are the best!) turns out to the be perfect template for a scalloped edge that must be made in 3" increments. Who knew? Certainly not me ... until now.

And so, with graph paper, a ruler, my trusty juice glass and some fusible web, I was on my way to a very satisfying border for my little quilt. Since I don't want to spoil the suspense of the finished project and since it's not quilted yet, you just get a peek at the border.

With any luck I'll manage to get this quilted in the coming week so I can get back to my yellow and white project before my daughter rejects me. That's got to get done before March.
Why March? Well, I don't want to give away any secrets, but I happen to know that Alyssa has a really special plan for her blog during the month of March and I'm planning a little something to go along with her theme. So, it's time to get moving. Spring is just around the corner!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Huh. I can't imagine what a yellow and white quilt has to do with my March plans, but if it means you'll get the sucker done before I get yet another degree I'm all for it!!