Saturday, February 26, 2011

Barbara Ruesch's Day Off

Monday was a snow day for all school districts around here. I don't get paid if I don't show up, but since the weather was really awful and the first thing I saw when turning on the TV at 5 am was a commercial of our governor declaring me and all other public employees Public Enemy Number One, I decided not to risk my life getting to work. I emailed my boss, got the OK and stayed home.
I made bread again since the loaf from the day before disappeared...and finally finished this.In the process of finishing it, the problem of those pesky blocks made of the black fabric from which the fruit and berries were cut was solved too. They were all sewn together and became the quilt back. Pretty darned classy I think.
The quilt has a nice plaid binding that seems to frame everything -- front and back -- very well. Good thing I have this stash to tide me over on snow days. It's also a good thing that I own Ferris Bueller's Day Off to watch while doing the hand stitching on the binding. There's nothing quite like the parade scene from this classic stay-home-from-work movie to lift the spirits.

And while hunting up the perfect binding, I also pulled together this lovely little grouping of fabric friends.
I'm not certain what they'll be when they grow up, but I'm excited to find out. First, however, there's that yellow and white number to finish. I'm working on it. I'm working on it.

No comments: