Saturday, April 30, 2011

So, what's in your sewing room?

Most people sew in their sewing rooms. I don't just yet. Soon, I hope, but not yet. I do have my fabric in there, some projects in the works, ironing board, scissors, thread, etc., etc., but not a place to sew yet. Part of the reason is that we (meaning Paul or Ned or both) need to refinish the floor. Part of the reason is that I don't have any type of sewing cabinet or table. Part of the reason is that there is a pig in there.

What? A pig in the sewing room? Yup.

Now, it may be important to know that although I live on a farm and technically own hundreds of animals, I don't really like them. Well, I like dogs. I tried to like cats. Cows are not on my list of desirable company. Nor are sheep or pigs. And Evan once had a rooster, Mr. Rooster, who was so mean, I actually bore a deep rooted hate for the nasty little creature. I try to like them all, but as it turns out, I only like the idea of them. . . and of course their products. I am grateful for the superior quality of food raised on our farm and our nephew's. We get prime beef, lamb, chicken and pork, not to mention eggs with yolks so yellow they compete with the sun. Oh, and I am so looking forward to the wool from Joel's sheep this year. It's not a bad way to live, believe me, but as for animal friends, I'll stick to dogs, thank you.

Now that you understand that, you'll also understand what a leap it was for me to agree to bring a pig in the house today. The poor little guy is all alone in the world and even I, non-animal lover, can't bear to think of deserting him. His mom had just two piglets and she has no milk. This little guy lost his brother and so he's all alone and cannot get anything to eat. I told Paul he could bring him in and put his tub under the kitchen table (we briefly discussed a bassinette, but the absurdity of that settled in before the word was even completed). Naturally, the first thing I did was call my sister to have her listen to pig noises in my kitchen. Little pigs are very noisy. They actually sound more like ducks quacking than the classic oinking you might imagine.

At any rate, this poor thing was hungry and probably lonely and letting the whole world know about it. Paul mixed up some calf supplement for him while I went to the store for a baby bottle and some nipples. When I came home I found them both in the someday-sewing room. He looked a little happier then. Do you see his little piggy smile? (Sorry, no picture of Paul.) He probably won't be with us long; Evan is trying to find a sow for him to adopt. In the meantime, I'm still sewing at the dining room table.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I think you should keep him. Look at that cute little piggy smile!!!

Barb said...

Sorry, Angela. He found a new family yesterday. They live in a barn and everything!