Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Honey hexagons

In the last month, I did some major piecing projects, including a spontaneous queen size quilt, and, frankly, rather overdid. Time to switch gears a bit.
Monday brought in the new work week with a trip to a conference in Wisconsin Dells. Twice a year, I head for these things and always pack a little handwork for the hotel. Sometimes it stays in my bag untouched while I fulfill my obligation to network. This time, I couldn't wait to get back to my room after dinner to try something I'd never done before: English Paper Piecing.
The idea is to baste fabric around precut paper shapes for very precise piecing. The basted shapes are then hand sewn together for perfect results. While I've known how to do this for many years, it was never something that called out to me ... until now, that is.
And now -- you guessed it -- this is so much fun! These are not tiny pieces; nor are they large, as the dime in the picture tells you. Just cute little hexagons in scraps of honey colored fabrics. What are they for, you ask? Not a clue. Not yet anyway. But someday soon they'll be the start of something really good.

No comments: