Sunday, May 15, 2011

Catching up

It's important to catch up with old friends. Thanks to Alyssa, I was able to do that recently when she returned the log cabin quilt she had been holding hostage for her very own new quilt. Not for the entire duration of the wait -- the log cabin isn't quite that old -- but for the past year or so. At any rate, it's home again and out for a quick airing on this cold and windy morning. This quilt is among my favorites, I think, because it is my own setting design. Granted, it's hard to label any pattern that's been around for hundreds of years as unique; maybe it's more accurate to say that I didn't use a pattern. Rather, I did my usual scratching out of a very loose sketch because I don't have the patience to do detailed ones, started cutting "logs" and ended up with a quilt that was and is special to me. The little half-cabins in the valleys of the big blocks are what take it away from the usual setting by making a distinct border. The fact that the math and the sewing all came off without a hitch made its construction a very satisfying experience, which of course, adds to the special status.

By now you may be thinking that this sentimentality over an older quilt is simply a guise meant to distract you from the absence of something new. You're partially right. I can't show my newest projects. Top Secret! And I'm not quite finished with another not-so-new. At least not far enough along that I want to share. I'll try to catch up on that this week and catch up with you later.

No comments: