Sunday, August 29, 2010

Life's a peach

If we have enough tomatoes in the garden, we'll have this wonderful fresh tomato soup for supper tonight. First, though, it will be a day to finish all those peaches. I managed to get through the first box by making some delicious Southern Comfort Peach Jam. It wasn't as easy as it sounds. I made one batch that didn't set properly, so we have an ample supply of Southern Comfort Peach Ice Cream Topping. Then, I made a batch of plain old peach freezer jam which was also a little soupy in my opinion, so we may have enough peach ice cream topping for eternity, especially since I don't recall ever having -- or even wanting -- peach ice cream topping before. Really though, the last batch of jam did turn out so delicious that I want everyone to taste it, yet I want to hoard it. The trick to success was re-reading the recipe to catch the detail of using the low-sugar PINK BOX of Sure-Jell. Thanks to Paul, the remaining peaches in the box were sliced and frozen for my favorite winter smoothies.

Today, I'm moving on to brandied peaches just as soon as we finish a lazy breakfast of Julia Child's bacon quiche. Using a frozen whole wheat crust (I find them in the organic foods section at the grocery store), makes quiche a breeze to prepare. And really, 3 eggs and skim milk make it pretty reasonable in the it-might-kill-you category. (Yes, the six slices of bacon and half-cup of shredded cheese are being intentionally ignored in this "it's-healthy" opine.) I couldn't resist the temptation of sliced tomatoes on top and toyed with the idea of taco seasoning, but that might have put me over the top of Paul's quiche tolerance. So, it's bacon quiche with tomato, parsley and basil. A beautiful offering for a beautiful Sunday breakfast picnic and my first day off in two weeks. Just peachy!

No comments: