Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Blueberry Cobbler

I had this notion recently that I would make a quilt of black baskets on white backgrounds and call it Blackberry Baskets. It would be all hand appliqued little 5 or 6-inch baskets. I made two blocks. One is blah; the other is cute. Don't know if I'll make any more. It was really just a need for some handwork that drove me to do those and they are really nice little baskets, but I'm working too many hours and getting pretty tightly wound and the prep for applique is more than I can handle at the moment. So, I took out some counted cross stitch started back in the days of Fred and Wilma and thought that would give the calming effect sought by handwork. And it probably would if I could see it. Honestly, my eyes at one time could discern the 2 threads that make one stitch in 28-count linen. That was then and this is now.

Still no acceptable handwork to calm me and it's just too hot to knit which leaves me just a tightly wound working machine. Not good. Paul called me at work last night to say that the fruit I ordered from the neighboring Amish bulk foods store had arrived. NOW??? Yes, now. Not only that, Eli understood my order for a box of peaches to be a bushel of peaches. Thank heavens, the box of blueberries is only a box of blueberries. So boy howdy do I have handwork.

There are cookie sheets of blueberries freezing as I type and I will pop a couple of blueberry cobblers into the oven soon. One for work and one for home. I made blueberry cobbler a couple of weeks ago with our own berries. It was one of those I Love Lucy baking experiences. The recipe begins with melted butter in the pan. I always used the same red fluted pie plate for this recipe because it looks so pretty on the table. No more. While the butter was melting in the pan in the heating oven, the pan cracked in half and the oven had a perfectly browned butter bottom. My plans for waking my dear one with the aroma of fresh blueberries baking on a Saturday morning turned out to be the stink of burning butter and the blue smoke spewing from the baker.

But here I am, trying it again. On a work day. Trusty old Pyrex this time. This recipe is from an old Habitat for Humanity cookbook. Try it. It's easy and delish.

Mama's Easy Blueberry Cobbler

1/4 c butter
3/4 c milk
1 c sugar
1 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 c sugar

Melt butter in 8-inch round baking pan. Combine milk, 1 c sugar, flour and baking powder in bowl. Pour into prepared pan. Top with blueberries. Do not stir. Sprinkle 1/4 c sugar over berries.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until nicely browned.

No comments: