Sunday, March 25, 2012

Possibilities

Sometimes things have to sit for a bit to tell me what will come next. This quilt top, for example, seemed like a really good idea when I started it several years ago. By the time it got this far, however, it seemed to have lost its charm and was set aside to wait for further inspiration.

It's waited and waited and finally, maybe, there's a glimmer of possibility. There's not enough of the tone-on-tone fabric that alternates with the little hour-glass squares for a full border, and a contrast border just seems too heavy somehow for what was intended to be a soft-looking little nap quilt. There is, though, a yard of a lovely soft print that would coordinate well with the feel of the quilt that could be incorporated into the border. And then there are those yo-yo's made with many of the same reds that are in the quilt and some of the same or very similar greens that might work for vines and leaves. Yes, there's hope. Not a definite plan, but hope.In the meantime, however, there are always hexagons for putzing. These, too, lack a defined destiny, but they are starting to add up to possibilities of their own. I originally thought that when I had 20 flowers made, I would devise a plan for a quilt. Now that I have 18 made, I think I'll do some serious planning when I have 35. Until then, which might be a while, I'll just keep stitching.

No comments: