Sunday, January 9, 2011

Working on a work quilt

The best quilt I ever made is this Hollyhocks wall hanging. It took me a long time to hand applique. The original intent was to hand quilt it. By the time I actually finished the applique, hand quilting was clearly not an "in my lifetime" option. The machine quilting is some of the best I've ever done, which helps this quilt maintain its status as all-time favorite. It's been hanging behind me in my office for the past six years. Every time I turn around, it makes me smile (well, nearly every time) and my friend down the hall has promised to save the quilt on the day my brain really does explode and spew data in a spatter pattern that will baffle CSI enough to warrant a cliffhanger episode.
But, things change. A new file cabinet moved in last week and the only available space for it places it right in front of my quilt. I really need that file cabinet and now I really need a different office quilt. Nothing I have seems the right fit. That's right, I need a new quilt.

I spent a good deal of time today mulling over my options. It can be no larger than a 36" square. But I think a rectangle will be more attractive. After paging through several books and magazines, it became obvious that I want another appliqued quilt. I chose the perfect pattern of a basket filled with flowers. I chose all the fabrics and pieced the background and began to feel overwhelmed when this fabric tickled my memory.

I've had this beautiful fabric for years. You'll notice that this 9" square has corner pieces added. Unfortunately, when I put these alternate squares with the ones I had planned to use them with, the entire quilt was, well, ugly. So, the black squares went back into the stash waiting for some other purpose. I found that purpose today.

So, yes, I want an appliqued quilt, but no, I don't really feel that I have the time or energy or dedication to complete a hand appliqued quilt at the moment. Voila! Enter Broderie Perse: Cutting designs from one fabric and appliqueing them to another. I will do a basket of flowers and fruit using this lovely fabric for the majority of the applique pieces in a raw-edge treatment.
And a bit of ripping and re-sewing will put those 9" blocks to good use as borders. It will be soft and lovely and exactly what I need behind me all day.

I can't wait to get back to work on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool idea! I like the fruits.

Hey, whatever happened to this gem you were working on? I know your readers want to know!
http://blueberrythrills.blogspot.com/2010/08/hot-enough-to-melt-butter_14.html