Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad

My dad was a hummer. He hummed along to almost any music playing in the background. And, sometimes, if it was a particularly good song, he'd sing along. And of those times, there were a few songs that he could really belt out. "Some Enchanted Evening" was one of those songs.

Dad would have been 88 on January 16. To honor his memory on his birthday I listened to the soundtrack of South Pacific, just as I do every year. Bloody Mary and Some Enchanted Evening stand out most clearly in my memory as songs he particularly enjoyed. I was at work (no one else was in the building) and hummed along as I sorted and copied and pasted and tabled and charted and calculated and then belted out a line here and there just like Dad would have done. Give it a listen and remember (or meet) my dad. Don't forget to hum along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you had to be at work today. But I'm glad you got to remember Grandpa is a special way!