Monday, December 13, 2010

Sister time

Notice the view outside my sister Jane's living room window. It's green. It's in a land where people place poinsettias on the porch in December like we'd put geraniums out in June. I was there last week. In addition to Jane giving me a private banjo recital, we did things we love to do.

We made Christmas cookies using our grandmother's 90-year old cookie cutters.

We sorted through Jane's extensive collection of beautiful silk ties.

We started working to bring to reality a vision Jane has had for these ties since working on her interior design internship in San Francisco many years ago. This will be a spectactular piece when it's completed. I'll be back again next year to help get it finished.
We admired some of our previous collaborations, like the quilt Jane is showing off here. And, of course we planned more future projects than either of us will ever live to complete. And we went to a concert and out for lunch and for dinner and did a little bit of shopping (a yarn shop, naturally) and talked and knitted and talked and laughed and reminisced and dreamed. In short, we were sisters together again after far too much time apart. It was wonderful.

Even the reality of coming back to Wisconsin's absurd amount of snow and cold for the beginning of December can't take away the warmth of a week with my sister. It was just what I needed to warm my soul for the cold months ahead.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I'm sad I couldn't go this year. But I'm glad you had fun with your sister.