Saturday, October 8, 2011

A great start

A beautiful day in Central Wisconsin means baling hay for all the men -- including sons, nephew, and friends -- around here. And if there are men baling, I'm cooking. Auntie Pat's Outdoor Pot Roast (made indoors), oven roasted potatoes, corn and spinach-apple salad with maple dijon dressing . Ice cream and molasses cookies for dessert. The cookies are supposed to be iced, but driving twenty miles for the missing icing ingredient was simply not appealing, so a sprinkle of Turbinado sugar before baking seemed a reasonable substitute.
Earlier in the week, my friend Jenny and I made a lunch break run to Kat's Curiosities. I must have mentioned this wonderful little shop before ... it really is one of my all-time favorite places. Just a cozy little shop that offers the perfect mid-day treasure hunt with its happy mix of new and vintage items. This is the little gem I snapped up on our most recent visit.I pictured it as the perfect knitting box for the sweater I'm working on (Alyssa's is done and in her possession; the current project is a cardigan for me), but changed my mind this afternoon. Thanks to my easy meal preparations, I was able to get half the fabric cut for a queen size flannel quilt today. My metal picnic basket turned out to be the perfect storage bin for the pieces.It's doubtful that much more flannel will get cut tomorrow since it's Violet and Barb's Great Apple Pie Making Day, but cutting a little every day before work will get me piecing this beauty by next weekend. Today was a great start.

No comments: