Sunday, November 14, 2010

Turnovers

Quilt shops sell many different types of precut fabric collections. Many are named for bakery items: Jelly Rolls, Layer Cakes and in the case of my project of the day, Turnovers. These precut triangles represent a specific collection of fabrics. The set I have is from Kansas Troubles. After buying one set of 80 somewhere, I happened across the same collection on special somewhere else and picked that up, too. After solemnly swearing off triangles just two weeks ago, I pieced all these triangles this morning without much of a plan, other than to make a lap quilt for a Christmas gift.


As it turned out, there were more darks than lights, so some medium ranges found their way to the light stack to balance out the piles. Piecing the triangles was a breeze. Since I happen to know the intended recipient really likes flying gees quilts, the triangles were pieced in appropriate pairs.

Unfortunately this setting met with a "kind of like it, kind of don't" verdict. There is not a strong enough dominant color to pull off the ridged look effectively. A quick change came up with this
No big thrill here either. It was back to shuffling the pieces again to something like this
Still not screaming, "this is it," but definitely telling me to think about this little quilt some more. Mabye doing those flying geese in columns with a border fabric between. Maybe mixing up the colors more. Maybe picking up the pieces and letting them rest for a few days, which is how it goes when piecing on a whim rather than with a plan. Still, it is my preferred method. I like mulling over my projects. Allowing all those possibilities to sort themselves out in my mind is part of the enjoyment of the process. This batch of turnovers simply needs just a little more time.

No comments: