Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ahhh. Fall.

I love fall. Since it's an "off" year for acorns, we have little risk of getting nailed by those pouncing little devils every time we walk out the door which adds to the enjoyment of the quiet changes taking place. The woods are beautiful. Our sugar maples -- scarlet beauties to me -- lost a little of their lustre and more than a few leaves in last week's rains, but still the overall warm tones everywhere invite sweaters and quilts and all the other things I love to use and make. Oh, and fall cooking. That is not something to be overlooked.
Last week I made creamy pumpkin soup that was quite good. This week's Harvest Pumpkin bundt cake from the Kiss My Bundt cookbook is made with the rest of that pumpkin. Paul stopped at a farmer's market and brought home some Sparta apples. I'll try to get out to the orchard this week for some Macoun's, my absolute favorites. We'll have acorn squash from Evan's garden spiked with our own maple syrup for supper tonight along with either beef or venison (Evan claimed a buck while bow hunting last night!). Fall flavors are so hearty, warm and especially welcome after a summer of not wanting to use the oven.
And there are few greater pleasures than humming away at the sewing machine as those autumn aromas fill the house. The camera is without its batteries (my contribution to the aforementioned successful hunter's GPS), so I can't provide proof, but I am on a piecing roll. After a several-year hiatus from this project because it became just too overwhelming, I am loving it again and will be happy to share shots of my finished Christmas quilt just as soon as it reaches that stage and I remember to buy batteries. In the meantime, it's back to the machine where The Goonies, a cup of coffee and hundreds of beautiful triangles are calling my name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Goonies link, Mom. The effects of high speed internet are well used in this post!