Sunday, March 14, 2010

Frustrations

Last week's high turned into this week's reality. Not so high. After finding the perfect chair and the perfect fabric, I learned that the fabric had been discontinued. Crap. It was the perfect fabric for the room and the chair. Not only has it been discontinued. It was discontinued in 2007! Hello???? No one noticed this fabric has not been available for YEARS and it's still on the sample wall? "Well, several of the fabrics in this book are still available." Yes, the ugly ones are still available. But the perfect one? Not a chance.

That disappointment came on Tuesday. I left the shop with more books. Nothing. All too dull or too brown or too pink or too something. On Friday I left with more books. Zilch again. On Saturday I brought home more books and Paul and I agreed on two possibilities. Actually, he agreed on one and I agreed on one and the price will declare the winner since they don't put prices in the books and why would they when chances are that the price might change sometime in the next three years, not to mention the availability. Not good. My twenty-dollar St Vinnie's find is going to cost me that much in gas going back and forth to the upholsterer's shop, not to mention the Advil.

I know, I know. Of all the tragedies in the world, this is not one of them. But really, it is annoying. Even more annoying is the fact that Paul chose a pretty nice plaid and my biggest opposition to it is that it really conflicts with the plaid I bought for $10 to cover the seat on the other $20 chair I picked up last week. Yes, this whole chair adventure is turning into an epic melodrama of bargain injustice. If I had the time and inclination and budget, I'd just drive to a large metropolitan area and find other fabric to show the upholsterer that the perfect fabric is out there somewhere. And, it's not that I don't like the beautiful fabric I chose or Paul chose, it's just that I loved the perfect fabric we both chose together in a matter of minutes and now I feel forced to settle for second choice even it does turn out to be wonderful. It's just the frustration of it all...

On the bright side (and my habit of always trying to find the bright side is getting on my nerves at the moment as well) I did find two more cake servers this weekend. One is actually pretty decent and the other will be after I bead the handle. That's good. Not good enough to cushion the blow of finding perfection to be discontinued years before I knew it existed, but good.

No comments: